[Jacob-list] feeding questions

Patty Berke honeybucket at attbi.com
Fri Mar 28 21:02:59 EST 2003

I am just finishing picking my wool, getting it ready for market.  It's so
much fun cause it makes me think about these delightful creatures!  And much
more fun this year because it's finally clean!!!  Which brings me to a
question:  in the winter months, when we don't have enough pasture growth to
feed the herd, how much can we rely on alfalfa pellets and sheep feed as
opposed to grass hay, which is much dirtier and wasteful.  I know I can go
to the "facts and figures" but I don't feel very confident using this
information to figure out how to make these determinations--my biggest
concern is the amount of bulk/fiber they need to get.  This is particularly
an issue since they always want to eat!!  This year we fed grass hay, some
alfalfa pellets and some sheep feed but I would really like to cut way back
on the hay if there is a way.
Thanks for any and all assist here!
Patty Berke
Flying Coyote Farm