[Jacob-list] Culling Ewes

Wayne Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 20 12:07:22 EST 2003

Every one has their preference for what characteristics in a particular ewe that they would like to continue in their flock.
Since a ewe is only makes up one part of your flock, a ram adds 50% to your flock, you do not have to have a "breed standard perfect" animal to add.
You would most definitely look for overall hardiness, ease of lambing, good breeding conformation and if she is a 2 year old or older at least will give you twins.
As for breed standard, if she meets the acceptable standard and then has something outstanding that you may need to add to the rest of your flock I.e. she shows 50% color or more and the majority of your flock tends to be on the light side of color.  Possible she shows strong 4horns or wide 2 horns of solid color.  Whatever strong points she can add is a great starting point.
I hope this helps.  This is basically the way I approach our evaluation of animals we may want to eliminate from the flock.
Edie Van Valkenburg, Joy Farm