[Jacob-list] Horns and offspring

Neal and Loise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Mar 8 13:58:18 EST 2003

....".  Is this a genetic thing or a developmental thing?  ".... Uh, Yes.

Think of horns like you would fingerprints. There is a genetic component, but the full expression of the trait is subject to chaos or randomness. Fingerprints, markings on piebald animals and horns are going to be different even on clones.

I suspect that left/right symmetry and distance between horns are separate traits and have different heritabilities. Both of these things are independent of the actual number of horns.

Neal Grose