[Jacob-list] Horns and offspring

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Sat Mar 8 13:06:24 EST 2003

Last year I had a 4-horned ewe (very nice horn placement and symmetry, although horns a bit small) lamb with twin 4-h rams. (Sire was 4-h, very nice horn placement)    I kept one lamb as a ram, the other I wethered (wool to nice to give up).  The intact lamb grew almost perfect horns.  Black, evenly spaced, upper horns curving just slightly backward, laterals  out and away from the face, the whole thing so symmetrical I was tempted to measure it to see if there was any difference at all--I sure couldn't see any.  Only fault was that they were a bit too close together, had very little space between uppers and laterals.  Now the wethered lamb--that was a different story.  It's a good thing for him he has good wool, or his name would be Chops.  On one side his upper horn  curves just slightly  outward , the lateral out and down, although tends to twist a bit There is a small space between them.  On the other side there is no space between the horn bases, and although they are not fused even at the base, the upper horn curves out and down and the lateral curves out and up so that they actually cross about 4-5 inches from the skull.  Is this a genetic thing or a developmental thing?  The "oddball" was a lot smaller than his twin at birth, and not as vigorous.  After the fact, I am hoping it is developmental with this individual, because I bred half my ewes to his twin brother.  (I know, I know, but I was so impressed with the good  one I didn't even think about the possibilities.  Live and learn.)   I guess I will start finding out in about a week, when the lambs start popping out.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR--anxiously awaiting the first spotted baby of spring!