[Jacob-list] 2003 AGM at Bluffton, Iowa-WOW!

Lanette Payne lanette_payne at jefferson.faribault.k12.mn.us
Sat Jun 28 14:59:54 EDT 2003

Dear Robin and everyone,

	I don't often write on the Jacob-list but did want to share how
enthralled my son and I were with our first AGM!  It sounds as if your
weekend on the other side of the country was a success promoting Jacobs as
well!  Bob and Marianne Craft Norton are warm and gracious hosts and
thought of everything to make the weekend perfect!  The weather was
absolutely beautiful-and no bugs was a plus!
	 We started the weekend, with a beautiful reception in the WillowGlen
Gardens.  Hummingbirds were dancing among the flowers and unique
perennials!  It was fun to relax after our long drives and chat with other
Jacob Sheep breeders, putting faces to the names!  Photo albums also came
out as people shared their pride and joy of this spring's lamb crops.
	After a wonderful night in the townhouse dorms of Luther College (and
listening to someone serenade Lindsey, the love of his life outside my
window!), Saturday was a fantastic day of inspirational and humorous
speakers, hands-on demonstrations of weaving, spinning and felting with
wool, admiring and buying gorgeous Jacob wool items and taking in the
beautiful view of all the Jacob sheep in the bluffs.  It was all "ooh" and
"aah!"  Lamb never tasted so good and and the dinner music brought the day
to a close as many heartfelt farewells were said.  Everyone we met from
around the country was kind and compassionate, dedicated to preserving
their Jacobs.  It was encouraging to see our JSBA leadership in action at
the business meeting.  They all were very professional and caring as
different issues were discussed among the membership.  We are in good
hands!
	 It was a running joke throughout the AGM that we all know the names of
our Jacobs like Lou Anne said and many of our sheep are "too fat!" :)
This is a good thing!
	We were able to stay for Sunday morning brunch and a tour of the new art
building at Luther college.  We even discovered Premier sheep panels were
used throughout the inside of the building! and we loved all the
weaving/wool opportunities that are being offered through classes!  It
made me want to go back to college!  My teenage son's interest in college
grew tremendously after this visit as well!
	My son will always be able to fondly remember his first AGM as he was
lucky to add some beautiful new Jacobs to his flock.  All in all, it was a
wonderful weekend to build new and old friendships and strengthen our love
for our Jacobs.    I would greatly encourage anyone who is able to attend
the AGMs in the future to make every effort to do so.   We can't speak
highly enough of all the people we met and everything we learned.  Watch
your next JSBA newsletter for all the details.

Respectfully yours,

Lanette Payne
Hurricane Hill Farm
Faribault, Minnesota