[Jacob-list] feeding

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 10:10:37 EDT 2003

In a message dated 6/23/2003 8:42:28 PM Central Standard Time,
Scottjr209 at aol.com writes:

> Is dry weeds enough for sheep to eat.  I have eight jacobs, and three acres
> worth of weeds.  I live in Galt Ca.  A lot of sun, and dry weeds.  The sheep
> look like they get enough to eat.  Do they need alfalfa to supplement their
> diet.  Or is dry weeds enough for them.  I do give them cobb as treats once
> or twice a week

"Dry weeds" may not adequately describe what is available for forage.  You
may want to contact your county ag agent for an identification of what is
actually available and perhaps have a small soil test performed.  The resources
available thru your county, Sacramento and UC-Davis might be explored.  Nominal
stocking rates of 5-8 sheep per acre depend on the type and quality of forage.

When I commuted to Cupertino CA for a couple of years, I noticed how
non-irrigated forage was often "green" in the rainy season and turned brown and almost
"desert like" in the summer.   Establishing a "stocking rate" for these
extremes, based on my recollection and judgement, would be quite a challenge.  A
few years ago I was in the Sacramento area during the summer and the forage was
pretty good ... What a difference a mountain range makes.  Pasture is a local
resource.

The pasture is also a "renewing" resource ... that is to say the pasture and
stocking rate should be in balance through a growing season and when it gets
out of balance, supplemental forage or feed may be necessary.  In lieu of
alfalfa you may want to consider other hays ... or establishing a pasture of
"local" grasses suitable for forage. Our experience in north central TX is that "hay
grazer" (a local wide blade cattle hay) and "coastal bermuda/Johnston grass"
or "first cutting (weedy) coastal bermuda" is somewhat drought tolerant and
cheaper ($4.50) than imported irrigated alfalfa ($6.50).  We use local (cheap)
hay in drought and Winter ... we only feed alfalfa which comes from irrigated
pastures up north during lactation.

If you are just starting out I recommend you contact local ag support
services and talk to neighbors that have livestock.  You want to insure that your
sheep that look okay today will look okay thru the year on the forage available.

Fred Horak