[Jacob-list] Re: Worming question

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 18:46:52 EDT 2003

Hi there - did the vet check for worms? With wormer so expensive and
resistance to wormers increasing all the time, it pays to have a fecal sample done to
know what to worm for. A "regime" depends so much on your grazing strategy -
whether you can rest land for a while, whether you have other species to cross
graze etc.

I always worm ewes after lambing as although adult sheep are pretty resistant
to worms, this is the time they are most vulnerable. Also I worm lambs after
turnout (we lamb in winter) and again a few weeks later. BUT run a sample or
two - it makes financial sense.

Breeding? Jacob rams here in UK are ready and willing for much of the year
and we have had lambs born naturally from early January to June....not much help
for the US...hopefully someone will respond who lives nearer you.

Trisha M-S , Montgomeryshire, Wales