[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Sun Jun 22 21:48:16 EDT 2003

Cate, you asked about the sheep getting into chicken feed.  I had an
incident here where one of my little male pygmy goats, unknown to me, was
making a habit of sneaking into the chicken pen, climbing up onto the
roost, where he could gain access to the chicken feed.  He did this a few
times before I discovered it..........and I then fixed things so he could
not pull anymore Houdini tricks.  However, he paid dearly for his
antics........the chicken feed has fairly high amounts of calcium in it
to enable good eggshell production and this little guy developed a
bladder stone which was actually lodged in his penis and he was unable to
relieve himself.  He was in a great deal of pain, the vet came, she
presented a few options, and the only option that was realistic was to
put him down.

However, I doubt a one time event would cause this sort of incident.
Probably of greater danger when sheep get into unlimited amounts of feed
is bloat.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft