[Jacob-list] Extra Teat

Dr. David Lincicome wheaten at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 11 17:42:36 EDT 2003

1730 hrs/Wednesday 11 June 2003

The definitive mammary system in all mammals develops from a milk line
having multiple  teat sites in the fetus.  In human beings most babies
 at birth have only 2 gland sites that have developed from the milk
line, but some babies have indicators of more than 2.  Personally I have 4.

It would be of much interest and ultimately possibly  of economic value
to know what gene or genes are involved in the determination of the
number of functional mammary glands.

David