[Jacob-list] DNA Color Testing Sheep (Ovine) for b & e Mutations

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Jun 10 19:30:39 EDT 2003

Heel low:

I am infatuated with color genetics...

I own the world's first DNA parentage proven & DNA color tested red from
blue/black&tans Australian Cattle Dog.  Presumed a"t"a"t" tested BB ee, his
homozygous "e"'s inhibits the expression of black pigment in his hair coat.

BLUE (mix of black & white hair) BLACK (black hair) & TAN (sable) PLUS "ee"
(inhibits black pigment) and you end up with "white & tan" = sable red dog.

My interest in color genetics has gone from dogs (canines-one of the reasons I
also post this to a canine genetics list...color genetics branch out to many
species!) to sheep (ovines).  In particular, Jacob Sheep (see below signature
line for brief description of this breed).  The Jacob Sheep is usually a
piebald black & white sheep...but patching coloration other than black does
occur and is being called "lilac."

Since Jacobs are dominant black (sheep are usually recessive black), most Jacob
cross breds (F1 generation) are black with a few white markings.  The lilac
coloration is quite intriguing and in the attempt to explain it genetically, I
hypothesize that the lilac Jacob Sheep is a homozygous "e" and the chocolate
lilac Jacob Sheep are homozygous "e" (recessive red or yellow that overrides
the gene at the A locus) & "b" (recessive brown/liver/chocolate).

I cannot prove my theory unless I have my Jacobs DNA color tested for the b & e
mutations.  Healthgene is willing to work with me and see if the canine DNA
color test will work on Jacob Sheep.  I am able to get quite a few DNA samples
from pewter lilac, lilac, chocolate lilac, and black piebald Jacob Sheep for
testing.

I have been asked by Healthgene to survey the interest in having DNA color
testing for sheep (ovine).  Please e-mail myself (ranchrat at telusplanet.net) and
Healthgene (info at healthgene.com) if you would find such a test useful.
Currently, to my knowledge, there are no DNA color tests targetting
sheep...this would be quite an undertaking if we are able to make such
technology generally available.  :-)

This test will be of particular interest to Jacob Sheep owners who are trying
to explain the lilac coloration in our breed (grey-->brown body patching).
Shetland, Icelandic, and other sheep breed owners may also find DNA color
testing beneficial for their breeding programs, especially those interested in
colored fleece production.  I know first hand that it has taken the mystery out
of many dog breedings.  I hope this offering of scientific assistance is met
with enthusiastic approval, so please, e-mail if you think you will use this
service.

- E-mail the following message to:
info at healthgene.com, ranchrat at telusplanet.net