[Jacob-list] extra teat

linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Jun 8 23:00:05 EDT 2003

I think that at least 1/2 of ours have the extra set.  In dairy
goats, I think it is common to snip the extra teat off soon after
birth as it's some sort of fault in showing. The extra teats from
what I've seen on ewes do not normally milk out, but I'm sure not
very knowledgeable in this. I have a new ewe that developed mastitis
and she has an extra teat on that side.  I really hadn't thought to
milk out the teensy little extra teat until today and was surprised
to see a fair amount of rather thick milk (not blood or pus) come
out, quite different in consistency from what I was getting from the
other teat.  That made me wonder if the two teats might be coming
from separate mammary glands (if that's the proper term - Neal, help
me out here).

Linda