[Jacob-list] Sheep Color Genetics-Site & List

ranchrat at telusplanet.net ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Jun 3 20:32:57 EDT 2003

Heel low:

An interesting site regarding sheep color genetics for those wanting more to
feed their Jacob color infatuations...pointing at self and whistling Dixie!

http://www.shaltzfarm.com/shcolor.html

And off his site, this particular statement!

http://www.shaltzfarm.com/shcolterms.html

"Blue Gray:
A gray in which every fiber is uniformly colored the same solid gray color,
even under magnification. There is no mix of white or black in the wool. This
gray would be the result of the dilution gene, and the animal's points (head,
legs, tail, which are generally covered with hair rather than wool) would be
the same color, if this type of gray exists in sheep. This kind of gray is
common in other animals, but I haven't seen any sheep's wool that matches this
description."

HA HA HA...so of course I have e-mailed him--natch!  ;-)

And for those who REALLY want some exchanges, an interesting list on sheep
color genetics:

sheep-color-genetics at yahoogroups.com

Enjoy...

Doggone,