[Jacob-list] Re: Lamb missing something

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 17:31:33 EST 2003

Katrina - I expect it's my post you are responding to. I quite agree about
not weeding out most recessive traits and keeping the gene pool as wide as
possible, but surely this recessive trait is different...being the provider
of the genetic material in the first place. Overwarmed sperm is unhealthy,
has reduced mobility and fertility and will carry many more defects alongside
just being short in the tackle department. And as for not crossing with
another carrier - how are you to know whether the ewe carries or not? Just
not using males with this characteristic has in studies reduced the incidence
by 18-28%.

Trisha
Marmont Jacobs, Montgomeryshire