[Jacob-list] Lamb is missing something...

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Thu Jan 23 17:34:13 EST 2003

While we have followed that policy at times, I don't think this should be
an automatic reaction to finding out about a recessive trait.
1) this is the reason  many breeders would prefer not to follow the genetic
status of their sheep
2)if we culled for every 'proven' recessive trait, we would end up with
very few sheep left to work with
3)it seems a better response that gives breeders encouragement in following
the genetic status of their sheep is to advise not breeding that animal
with an animal with the same weakness... this goes for cross-bred traits
too. (my opinion)  on the other hand culling can be a quicker way to feel
confident about the traits your flock is carrying.
Just my two cents!  *smile* Katrina

<critterland at bendcable.com>