[Jacob-list] Voluntary Scrapie Program

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Thu Jan 16 17:24:47 EST 2003

Cheryl,

The scrapie program has a voluntary side and an involuntary side to it.
We are all operating under the involuntary side if we chose not to
operate under it voluntarily, and all sheep are required to have tags in
their ears before they leave your property to trot off to the neighbor's
vegetable garden.

I have participated for 2.5 years here in NC and found our vets to be
most helpful, knowledgeable, accomodating, and in general........just
downright great to work with.  They have been vastly forgiving of my
various and sundry inadequacies.  They have answered lots of questions
that probably sounded the most mundane and weird that could be
asked---and they kept their composure through it all.

In fact, I have my scrapie vet to thank that I even HAVE a vet.  They
were my only access to veterinarians for several years, and it was this
year after I had some problems in the summer that one of them pulled
rank and strings and found me a vet practice that will come out to my
farm.  In fact, they were out this afternoon studying the sheep.

Do a simple search on the internet and find your state vet phone number
and just call and set the appointment.

If you don't bring in any ewes for 5 years and they are checking your
records in and out and nobody comes up with scrapie (so far, there
haven't been any Jacobs found with it), you are certified free.  I am
not changing my purchasing practices, and I DO bring in girls as well as
boys into my flock.  I doubt I will ever get to be certified free until
there are enough Jacob breeders out there that have a significant pool
of bloodlines that the dates won't keep dropping down to the lowest
common denomenator......ie the day I bring the sheep home........

My start date is sometime in the summer 2001.  My effective date is over
Labor Day weekend 2002.

There is a difference between certified free and participation in the
program as you can see.  I don't know what you individual state
requirements are, but we aren't having any difficulties bringing sheep
into NC or taking them out that I have heard about.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209