[Jacob-list] Killer Ram

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 05:52:49 EST 2003

Hi,

One point that nobody mentioned in this discourse.... Just how many rams
and bucks do you see with ewe and doe herds in the wild outside of
breeding season?  Aren't we making our animals something that nature did
not intend when we house and keep them together year round?  Just a
thought.

We had a ram that was tolerable as a ram---good with the girls,
aggressive with the boys (top ram), but otherwise "safe" as rams tend to
go.  He got in one of those big head-banging fights with a Shetland ram
one spring and then really seemed to get much more aggressive with the
rams.  Behavior change following injury or other CAN happen.  He crossed
the line at my place.  He was butchered and his head sits in my dining
room----gorgeous skull!  Peter actually looked at his head, as at the
time we figured there was probably a broken skull or other injury that
caused the behavior change.  Peter found nothing with that one.

ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting