[Jacob-list] Ram: Freckles/Ticking

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 21:40:00 EST 2003

Hi,

That yearling shearing is really an eye-opener for lots of us.  You can
often tell that an animal is freckled from early on if you look very
carefully through their fleece and at the skin.  There is also the area
of sun-related freckles that Fred mentioned.

If you use an older ram (meaning over 2 years of age at a minimum),
there are quite a few benefits:

1.	personality is pretty well set, and that means if he is a
snot---you probably would be much better off passing him by and letting
the current owner eat him.
2.	you can see if there are freckles, early graying traits, horn
problems, or any other number of traits that you might like or dislike
in the ram----remember he is 50% of every lamb that is produced, and
there are lots of flocks out there that think one ram a year is
sufficient.  Of course, I have 5 standing at my place this winter.
3.	you will also be able to see what offspring he has produced and
whether or not you like them.  Remember to ask about the culls and why
they were culled.  Every breeder has a few criteria that might differ
from yours---their cull might be your "find".

I personally love getting my hands on an older ram.  I don't have to
wonder if they are going to grow up and try to kill me.  Some of the
breeders I cut my milk teeth on gave me "2 years" as the critical age to
pass before determining personality.  I was told if the ram had behaved
himself through that period of time (2nd fall) that he would be very
unlikely to change.  I have probably lived through 8-10 different rams
that fit the criteria, and believe it wholeheartedly.

We sheared on the 20th.  Spring harvest is past.  The old guy was in the
shed with us the whole time and nobody even bothered to look at him.  He
was an adult in 1992 spring pictures, so he was born sometime between
1989 and 1991..still tottering around.  He has 3 cute little offspring
cutting up in the field now---2 girls and a boy.  I have another set of
twins likely before too many days before we have a long dry spell for
lambs.

Mary Ellen