[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 17:04:28 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/29/2003 9:12:19 PM Central Standard Time,
stonecroft235 at juno.com writes:

> Have any of you ever heard of red fox attacks on lambs?  We live in a
> rural but populated area and Mr. &Mrs. Fox have been making themselves
> quite visible recently......I watched them for over an hour one afternoon
> last week as they were hunting in a field, and even at times playing
> together......and at one point hanging out in our neighbor's yard.  Last
> year I observed our ewes chase a red fox until he was able to find a spot
> in the fencing where he could wiggle underneath and get away from them.
> And I certainly understand that a rabid fox will attack
> anything.........but do red foxes ever attack small lambs?   I'm
> wondering if I should be concerned in the Spring when our lambs are
> born......would they attack under the cover of darkness when the adult
> sheep would be less aware?

We have coyotes and bobcats.  However, the SID Sheep Production Handbook (p41
seq.) says "Of the three manin types of fox (red, grey, kit or swift), the
red fox is known to attack sheep most frequently (generally only lambs).  In
rare instances, a swift may also kill lambs." ... "Fox often hunt in pairs."
Fred Horak