[Jacob-list] Medical / Social behavior ...

gf fayg at mebtel.net
Mon Dec 8 18:10:09 EST 2003

Jacob Members.

I have a question, it may be medical or social but I will wait for an answer.

I have 5 ewes and removed the ram last week. The oldest dominant ewe
was acting strange. I dumped in a bale of hay and noticed the oldest
ewe running, well doing the 4 legged bounce hopping run, almost stomping.

You know the one. Then I noticed that the second oldest ewe was doing the
same but seemed to be chasing the older ewe and would not let her near
the bale of hay, even noticed the babies seemed to be attacking her, not
vicious, just like the social order was disturbed.

Then I noticed the older ewe was squating to pee and not having any success (dry)!

Anyone think I need a vet, is it a UTI or just stress from a big social change,
ram removal .....

Thanks
Gary