[Jacob-list] strange malady

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Aug 6 16:34:13 EDT 2003

I had a strange problem here this week and I wonder if anyone can help shed some
light on it.

I had 8 lambs together with two adult ewes and took out the five lambs that aren't
still nursing and wormed them with Safe Guard.  These lambs had been wormed with
Ivormec 8 weeks ago.  I grained the five lambs a total of just less than 1 pound of
grain that evening.  They have been eating grain for months now and also had access
to pasture.

Next morning, one lamb has profuse, dark diarrhea.  Treated with Kaopectate,
Probios, trimmed and washed her bottom. (even with a docked tail, diarrhea is
nasty!) She was walking in an uncomfortable manner -
think of a person walking kinda hunched over with their toes pointing in opposite
directions - a corn cob up the butt walk.  First thought was a blockage as one of
the other lambs passed a rather lengthy tapeworm.  Later that day, the lamb was in
obvious pain, still had the diarrhea and started a strange gait - she was lifting
her front legs almost high enough for her knees to bump her nose. At this point,
I'm starting to
think some sort of CNS problem and think it's maybe overeating disease - non
vaccinated lamb and the biggest and strongest and suddenly not having to compete
with the adults for grain. More kaopectate, Nutri-Drench, lots
of water, very slowly dribbled into her mouth.  Next day, the lamb was staggering
and
falling down and couldn't get back up without help.  LA200, more kaopectate, more
Nutri-Drench, more water.  By that evening, I was sure we would lose her.  At this
point, I had pretty much decided it's not overeating disease because she should
have died already.  Maybe a toxic reaction to dying worms??  I wouldn't have thought
she had a heavy parasite load as she had been wormed 8 weeks earlier and showed no
sign of heavy infestation.  I continued the treatments just to have something to do
and gave her some aspirin, just to maybe help with the pain.

Third day.  She's kinda alert in the morning, but still not eating or getting up.
More water and Nutri-drench.  I left for a few hours and came home to find her in
the same spot, but she's chewing her cud - a good sign!  Within an hour, she got up,
started grazing and today (the fourth day) she is completely recovered.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

PS - yes, I know I should have already vaccinated (and I do vaccinate) but I'm late
this year.