[Jacob-list] Overeating?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Apr 26 05:08:23 EDT 2003

Bloat is a mechanical problem that involves the rumen "shutting down".
Without the normal rumen action to relieve gas (burping), it fills and can
compress the lungs to the point that the animal suffocates. Overeating of
fresh legumes is one of the more common causes of this, but I have seen it
as a result of lose of vagus nerve function.

Several of the clostridial diseases involve production of gas. The dead
animal will indeed look bloated. All over. Gut distended. Under the skin.
One symptom of these diseases is the very rapid deterioration of the animal.

Neal Grose
PS: Have a good breakfast!