[Jacob-list] Re: British Jacobs, spongeing etc

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 11:57:36 EDT 2003

I've bred a couple of my Jacob ewes (first time mothers) to an
Icelandic ram and am very pleased with the results. The lambs are
small, so even if I overfeed my ewes, they can still lamb on their own.
They are quiet and tend to bond with their dam well, grow fast and
their fleece is lovely - very open, soft and long. I can shear them
once before they go to market. The one older ewe I bred to the
Icelandic ram seemed to have a little trouble keeping up with her twins
- the Icelandics do hit the ground running and need more milk than the
Jacobs.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm