[Jacob-list] bottle lambs + lamb feed

Kelly Przylepa and Rich Moore kellyandrich at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 12 19:48:47 EDT 2003

We have one bottle lamb here who is now 1 week old. Her teen-age first time
mother had twins and is taking care of the ram lamb but not the ewe lamb. I
followed the directions in our sheep book- went very slowly in terms of the
concentration of the lamb milk replacer (e.g 1/2 strength, then 3/4
strength, and finally in the last 2 days full strength).

We had weighed her and her bother on the first day of life- she was 7-1/4 #
and the ram lamb was 7#. One week later- she weighs 8-1/4# and the brother
is now 12#. She appears to be thriving. She is now drinking ~34oz/day
divided into 5 feeds.

Should we be feeding her more milk or add some type of lamb feed? Does
anyone feed their Jacob lambs lamb feed. Do not suggest hay- we are out of
it!

Thanks,

Kelly