[Jacob-list] Hides and Horns

Dennis & Barbara Schultz dschultz at waypt.com
Tue Apr 8 20:19:29 EDT 2003

Add to Robin's advice: After the hides have been salted heavily for  3 or 4 days they can have the extra salt 'shaken off' and put somewhere to dry out. Here they never dry out from December until May. I hang my well salted and 'cured' hides over a rafter in the barn until summer when they will really dry out. Then I send them off to be tanned.
Another source of inexpensive salt is Costco or any restaurant supply house where they sell 25 pound sacks very inexpensively.
Denny
Dennis and Barbara Schultz
Green Water Farm
250 N Jacob Miller Rd