[Jacob-list] Hides and Horns

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Tue Apr 8 13:33:48 EDT 2003

  >>Can any one out there tell me how to ready a sheep or lamb skin before being sent to process? >

  Spread it out, wool side down. Spread salt all over it and leave it where dogs, etc can't find it. Make sure you get the salt all around the edges too. The salt will help it dry out. I bought "mill-run" salt at the feed store--50 lb for about $5 I think. It was pretty cheap, anyway.  I left the last few that I did in the fall in the barn for too long. The weather got foggy and drippy and the salt actually absorbed more moisture from the air. I had to salt the skins again,move them into my shop and it took forever for them to dry at that point.

  >>Also is there something that should be put on the horns, and what can they be used for? I have heard of buttons being made. Are they sent somewhere? If you could give me a step by step or direct me as to where I can find out this information, I would appreciate it.>>
  I'd like to hear this too. I have saved horns, boiled horns, etc, but don't really know what to do with them.

  Robin Lynde
  Meridian Jacobs
  Vacaville, CA
  www.meridianjacobs.com