[Jacob-list] Dead Ewe

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 10:11:04 EDT 2003

Are you milking ewes because they lost their lambs? Last year, I was
able to get a Jacob ewe to take an older Churro lamb when the Jacob ewe
lost her lamb to a predator. I held the ewe to let the lamb nurse and
gave the ewe grain as a treat. After doing this twice a day for several
days, the ewe decided I didn't have to hold her, she would let the lamb
nurse for the treat. A few more days, and she wanted the lamb to follow
her and she took over mothering.
For 47 day old lambs, I would try about 8 oz. twice a day and give them
Probias to fast track them onto grass and hay (it adds the right
bacteria to their intestines so they can "digest" their food). I've
weaned Jacobs at seven weeks, they didn't get as big as fast as their
contemporaries, but they did o.k.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre