[Jacob-list] Reply to multiples re: butcher lamb

Shawn Hoefer shawnhoefer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 13:41:08 EDT 2003

> If you are not planning to sell the meat then you could learn to do the
> butching yourself, save the fee.

You can also sell the meat on the hoof anbd let the buyer take the animal to butcher, or if you re
on a farm and haev facilities you can allow the buyer to butcher at your location. This can hel;p
is you want the pelt/hide or internals (read on) and can get you a decent price. I have a friend
that gets $1.50/lb for her goats on the hoof. Of course this is just something to consider if you
plan only on selling locally.

> If you are curious about the weight, shave
> them, you will quickly see how small they are. On the inside, I save the
> heart, liver and kidneys for the dogs...

For the dogs! Live a little :) Get adventurous!! I tried steak and kidney pi lst year and it is
now a favorite dish around the house. Our poor dogs are now stuck with nothing but dog food. I am
even interested in trying a haggis, but the last time I tried, it.. ahem... exploded and was a bit
of a cleanup problem...

> and cut the meat myself with a buchter
> kit for Calbot's w/hacksaw. The skin and intestine are a significant portion
> of the animal, not really edible. I butchered my first last weekend, cooked
> a portion of the back in a crockpot with BBQ sause, great stuff.

We process all of our animals that we plan on eating at home. Anything we sell at the market has
to be processed at a USDA approved facility.

> Gary

I wa curious about the cost myself, did some research and found that your prices are about right
for a reputable meat packer. I feel that $70 was acceptable for 35# of meat in the freezer. So
called 'natural lamb' (so-called because in spite of any and all assurances, there's still no way
of knowing short of taking it to a bio lab) runs about $4+/lb here - when you can get it at all.
We prefer our own lamb, get our beef from a local rancher, raise goats for meat and milk and raise
our own chickens for meat and eggs. I really hate getting anything from the store anymore, but
wont raise pork on the farm and find that seafood doesn't do too well in s drought stricken, land
locked state :)

Enjoy it...

Shawn
Laffing Horse Farm