[Jacob-list] update on Twigg group

Mary Ellen Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 07:07:14 EDT 2003

Hi,

I thought I would update the list on the sheep I brought in from MD last
fall.  The ones that survived the fall are doing well.  I still have a
couple ewes that look like a bag of bones, but otherwise they are all
looking well.

Both old rams are now buried.  Isaiah (1988) and Noble
(1989-91.anybody's guess).

I have 5 lambs with quite nice markings.  All of these were out of Noble
and there may be more through the end of May from him as ewes were
cycling past Christmas.  Of the 5 lambs, there is 1 brown/lilac in the
group.  There are 4 girls and 1 boy.  There are 3 sets of singles and 1
set of twins.  The set of twins was finally pulled and placed
exclusively on bottles a couple days ago.  They have survived with some
supplementation and their mother, but really are NOT thriving.  I have a
neighbor who is getting into Jacobs and took them under her wing.  Their
mother would be in the same age range as Noble as she was an adult in a
1992 picture.

There is 1 ram in the group, and he will be meat for somebody as he has
4 horns.and of course problems with one side (exactly like his mother in
case some of you are in favor of keeping the ewes with traits you don't
like in your ram population).

The lilac yearlings were all graying at their first shearing-to varying
degrees, but all were doing it.  That makes 2 lilacs on the place that
are not.  Interesting and rather depressing.

My other adult ram escaped (Noah should have been called Houdini!) again
yesterday.  I figured it would be safe, but also a real interesting
test, to put him in with the girls to make his day.  He was most eager
to entertain, but I didn't see much in the way of invitations being
handed forth.

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Jacob Sheep, Fiber, Spinning equipment,
Books, Patterns, Knitting/Crochet/Tatting