[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Apr 2 22:54:07 EST 2003

I need advice -- a very small ewe lamb was born here to a yearling ewe.
The baby is very small, and now at 24 hrs. of age still can't stand.  In
fact, after it was born last night I knew we had a problem, and I
expected to find a dead lamb this morning.  However, the lamb has a real
will to live.  I have been holding it up to drink and it sucks fine and
vigorously, although it's head is a bit wobbly.........I think this lamb
probably has white muscle disease.  I don't give BoSe injections and
probably should...... and the mother of this lamb is not liked by the
other sheep and so is crowded & butted away from the hay/feed, probably
lowering her nutrition.    Anyway, this little lamb wants to
live............and one of my books says selenium can do wonders for
these little guys.  Will it really reverse this?  Have any of you dealt
with this?  I know the smart thing to do is just to let nature take it's
course.........      I will call my vet in the a.m. to see if I can pick
up some selenium injectable........I certainly don't want a vet call.

Any advice would be appreciated--thanks.  Oh, and did I mention that this
little lamb is a ewe and has classic markings -- Murphy's Law again!!!!

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA