[Jacob-list] "Intersex" lambs

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 15:49:18 EDT 2002

In a message dated 9/13/02 12:19:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
snielsen at orednet.org writes:

> I was re-reading my Jacob Sheep Conservancy newsletter, and noted
> that Fred mentioned an occurrance of an "intersex" lamb in his
> tally of congenital defects.
>
> Fred: Would you describe the physical appearance of an intersex
> lamb?
>
> Susan

INTERSEX is a term used for a number of congenital defects that make
determination of the sex difficult because elements of both sexes are
present.

CONGENITAL simply means present at birth.  Why a defect is present at birth
may be a result of a heritable (chromosome/gene) defect, physical insult
(injury) to the ewe or lamb, environment, and often disease ... sometimes
'extra feed', a "de-wormer" or injection.

The more common intersex defect is the hermaphrodite (both sexes are
represented).  Two "related" types are male pseudohermaphrodite and female
hermaphrodite. Freemartin is another type of intersex; those who have cattle
may see this with twins.

Katrina's case is noteworthy.  First, the ewe rejected the lamb.  I know that
many do not subscribe to the "if the ewe rejects a lamb look for a problem".
I happen to subscribe to this THEORY.   Second, that there was continuing
contact between Katrina and the purchaser regarding "observation of behavior"
and "physical problems".  Third, rather than bury the problem, it is
diagnosed and reported.  Fourth, someone else may be able to be informed and
add to the "health of the breed".

Finally, describing the phsical appearance of an intersex.  I draw a blank
because its not obvious at birth but there may be some 'signs'.   First,
there may be a rejection of one of multiple lambs, second the intersex new
born lamb will probably be a ewe (a lot of intersexes are ewes) and may be
crytochidic.  Later, say at a year, hormone imbalance will affect structure
and behavior; finally, the "ewe" will not breed.

I picked on the "ewe" becasue it is more common.   Pseudohermaphrodite
females (look like rams) are possible but rare.

Maybe this will help but if you have questions about a particular case, you
will want to get a professional diagnosis.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
Lucas, TX 75002