[Jacob-list] Rabies?

LBBDVM at aol.com LBBDVM at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 15:33:04 EDT 2002

In a message dated 9/13/02 1:11:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
snielsen at orednet.org writes:

> but perhaps to any vet or agency that would suggest such
> a practice, and to those of us who might consider it. It sounds like a
> recipe for growing vaccine resistant rabies. Since no one can know what
> dosage is taken by wild animals consuming bait, I would hope the practice
> is rare.

Wildlife vaccine programs using oral bait is currently being used in target
areas of Pennsylvania, and has been widely (and successfully) used in Canada
and several New England states for several years.  The PA program is a joint
venture involving PA depts of Ag and Health, PA game commission, CDC, and
USDA.  Areas that have used wildlife baits have seen a significant decrease
in the number of wildlife cases and therefore human/domestic animal exposure.

Antibiotic resistance among bacteria is a significant concern, as is parasite
resistance to antiparasitics.  Rabies is caused by a virus and viruses do not
develop resistance in the same way that bacteria or endo/ectoparasites do.

Animals that do not consume bait will not be protected.  Animals that consume
bait will be vaccinated.  Consuming multiple baits is not a problem.  The
baits are formulated to attract the wildlife species of concern.  In PA it is
raccoons.  In other areas it may be skunks, foxes or whatever.  Baits are not
harmful to non target species.

I cannot comment on specifics for other areas. In PA target areas are
identified and the baits distrubuted in those areas by the Game Commission.
More information is available from the PA Public Health Information Line
1-877-PA HEALTH

Hope this helps,
Lia Belanger Book, DVM
Elizabethtown, PA