[Jacob-list] RE: [Jacob-list]]ad for Jacob Sheep for Hunting

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 12:56:32 EDT 2002

Dear Thom:

       I am well familiar with the elephant conservation effort in southern
Africa that you mentioned. This is part of a United Nations sponsored program
that goes by the acronym "CAMPFIRE" (I can't recall what it stands for). The
underlying philosophical concept is termed "conservation through
utilization."
       I am a member of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (FNAWS)
which has recently been active in setting up similar programs in Asia to
conserve sheep, most notably Marco Polo Argali in Tajikistan and Kyrgistan,
and Altai and Gobi Argali in Mongolia. Previously the natives hunted sheep
for subsistence and had almost wiped them out. Now there are thriving
populations, but the trade off is that mature males are hunted. (I guess I
should fess up and mention that I'm going to Tajikistan to hunt Marco Polo
sheep this February.)

Peter S