[Jacob-list] Tail Docking

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Fri Sep 13 11:21:08 EDT 2002

We subscribe to the old adage, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."   We dock all our lamb tails with a docking tool and give tetanus, overeating, and bose shots at that time.  We leave enough tail to prevent prolapsing - no short docks.  With the docking tool there is little or no bleeding, hurts for a second and then is over and done with.
Here in Ohio, there are plenty of flies in late spring through early fall.  It only takes one to lay eggs and create a gross mess!  Flystrike is not something you want on your sheep or any animal.  A sheep does not need to have diarrhea to get maggots.  Even a little mess will attract them, and even though Jacobs do lift their tails, the possiblily exists that manure will adhere to the tail and attract flies.
Our decision to dock has nothing to do with 'show rules or trends.'  It is strictly a sanitary precaution.  Those who do not dock may never have a problem, but I am much more comfortable knowing that we have done what we can to prevent flystrike.
Mary Spahr