[Jacob-list] kelp & rabies

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Fri Sep 13 08:07:44 EDT 2002

I have not heard of kelp used to control parasites, but it is an excellent
addition to your feed for adding in those micro-nutrients.  To use it, buy
the dried, crushed version (not quite a powder, still some texture to it
-- sorry it's early for me, I still can't quite get all the words out :-)
in bulk (there are some companies in Maine that sell it, you might find
others on the internet) and just mix it in with the grain.

Some people have used diatomaceous earth to control parasites.  It is a
powder, not the kind used in swimming pools.  FEDCO Seeds in Maine sells
both DE and kelp in bulk.  The word I think is still out on DE's
effectiveness.  Some people report luck, others not.

As for rabies, from what I've been told, it's really up to you and what
you think the risk is.  Sheep don't usually get tangled up with raccoons
or skunks, but if there's a high incidence of rabies in your neighborhood,
it might be a good precaution.  As for re-vaccinating, you can have one of
them titrated to see what the vaccine levels are in the blood before you
go and re-vaccinate everyone.  You can do this with your dog or cat, too,
to see if they really need to be subjected to more vaccine.

Best,
Kelley