[Jacob-list] Look at this ad for Jacob Sheep for Hunting

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Thu Sep 12 18:59:48 EDT 2002

I have seen many of these animals sell at the auctions.  Jacobs may have died out if the hunter market did not keep it going.
I have seen nicely horned rams sell as high as $800.00
The Jacobs two horned rams are not worth much to these people.
Ewes are not worth much at all.
Jacobs purebred traits are not important either.
Just four horns, balanced, bulky horns.
The dilemma for the breeder is what to do with the really nice rams.  I have two really nice rams that are two years old and have four horns, Nice spots, knee patches(mandatory for good Jacobs, not important for hunters), great blood lines.  But in my area of mid Missouri, I would be really lucky to get $200 if I sell them as breeders--and that is after I spend money on advertising.  I can beat that price at a bad auction with no cost on my part.
One crazy side note is that these rams, like all of my sheep, will come right up to you if  you have grain.  It makes me wonder, "How challenging is the sport of Jacobs hunting?"  "How proud should one be to hang these heads on the wall?"
Mark Essen
Famous Acres
6701 County Road 353
Fulton, Mo.  65251
(573)642-0350
messen at socket.net
Jacobs 4-Horn Sheep, Pygmy Goats, Pyrenees, Peafowl, Highland Cattle, Yak, Emu, Wallabies, Patagonian Cavies, Eland, and Fallow Deer all living together in the Kingdom of Callaway