[Jacob-list] Docking

Wayne VanValkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 12 07:10:00 EDT 2002

We left our tails on years ago when the Jacob Breed Assoc. were developing there breed standards in case they used the tail length as a standard.  Thank goodness this is not a demand in the breed standard.
Our flock was very small then and they were grazing with 2 horses we had.  They were very compatible.  Too much so as we tragically found out.  One beautiful ewe lamb came up for feed with her the outer skin of her tail hanging off the end of the tail.  She had been laying with one of the horses and he stepped on her tail and evidently she spooked and ouch.
The vet came and removed the entire tail and sutured it to the tune of $60. which in the 80's was a big bill.
Since then we have docked all our sheep and leave about a 3" or 3 finger tail.  We leave some to cover the vulva and protect against any muscle damage from docking too closely.
In the east and in most pictures I receive for JSBA inspection most all are docked.
But It is a personal decision, depending on your management program.
On lambing we permit our ewes to lamb in the field and we bring them in within a few hours of birth depending on the weather.  The lambs are usually bonded with the mothers except for a few new yearling mothers and we pick up the lambs and put them into a sling.  This allow is to keep the newborn low to the ground and we ewe and babies into the barn.  It works like magic.
Edie & Wayne Van Valkenburg, Joy Farm