[Jacob-list] ear tags

Bill Thompson Emma at netins.net
Wed Sep 11 16:43:16 EDT 2002

Hi--I will jump in here with what little I know,  from experience, I will
never let a lamb go undocked again.  She was born out of season for us, I
did not take the time to band, and by spring, with her long fuzzy tail, we
had to clean her up by hand, which included taking a shears and cutting away
poop, hair and what ever else was in the way.  We then washed her all
stretched out on a board, (too chilly at that time to let her get all wet).
When our vet came for shots, etc. when we did our normal lambing in the
spring, he docked her for us.  I was so thankful that it was winter when
this happened and not summer.

Because it is so cold in Iowa during the winter, we use plastic ear tags,
small ones, 1/2 inch X 2 inch from Midstates in Kansas.  I know the sheep
don't feel the tags, but I guess I feel better about it.

Lou Anne in S.W. Iowa