[Jacob-list] Jacob Crosses

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Thu Sep 5 17:13:16 EDT 2002

I suspect that one cross we need to watch for is crosses that include Finn. I have FinnXlongwools [my faux mohair producers] and can tell you that you can get some pretty amazing lambs from those.  You can get spots and even get horns on the ram lambs from the first generation. They will have larger frames and Finn-like tails though. These lambs become the back-bone of our trade with our Jordanian friend since they are ready to eat a few months ahead of the Jacobs.

Neal Grose
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary Spahr
  To: Jacob List Members
  Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 10:12 AM
  Subject: [Jacob-list] Jacob Crosses

  We have used some of the same crosses that Debbie mentioned.  Our Jacob ram breeds our few old Horned Dorset ewes.  Since Horned Dorsets also carry a spotting gene, the lambs may be spotted, but the spotting is more of a chocolate brown instead of black.  They can be a solid color with white markings.  They are much larger than a purebred Jacob.  The bones are heavier, head bigger with wool forward of the horns.  They would not fool any of the inspectors even with the spots.  If these 1/2 Jacobs are crossed back to a Jacob, then our job gets more difficult.
  We have a Romney x Bluefaced Leicester x Cheviot x Corriedale ram that we use for market lambs on some Jacob ewes.  His fleece is chocolate on the outside, several pretty shades of grey underneath.  He has a black face and legs.  The lambs turn out black with sometimes a few white markings.
  Mary Spahr