[Jacob-list] Jacob Crosses

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Thu Sep 5 10:12:33 EDT 2002

We have used some of the same crosses that Debbie mentioned.  Our Jacob ram breeds our few old Horned Dorset ewes.  Since Horned Dorsets also carry a spotting gene, the lambs may be spotted, but the spotting is more of a chocolate brown instead of black.  They can be a solid color with white markings.  They are much larger than a purebred Jacob.  The bones are heavier, head bigger with wool forward of the horns.  They would not fool any of the inspectors even with the spots.  If these 1/2 Jacobs are crossed back to a Jacob, then our job gets more difficult.
We have a Romney x Bluefaced Leicester x Cheviot x Corriedale ram that we use for market lambs on some Jacob ewes.  His fleece is chocolate on the outside, several pretty shades of grey underneath.  He has a black face and legs.  The lambs turn out black with sometimes a few white markings.
Mary Spahr