[Jacob-list] shetland/jacob x

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 4 10:37:34 EDT 2002

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 08:35 AM, Betty Berlenbach wrote:

> Come on, folks, jacobs (or most of them) carry black dominant, and it
> is really dominant!  So, I would expect most if not all babies to be
> black, with some white touches: blaze, a leg, whatever, frosting...And
> especially with a moorit shetland ewe since moorit is very
> recessive...in general, the rule of thumb is: white, grey and beige
> colors, black, moorit, in descending order of dominance.  What would be
> interesting is jacob ram on grey shetland or white shetland, to see
> which is more dominant, the jacob black or the shetland white/grey.  I
> suspect the jacob black will still win.  Problem, of course, is these
> lambs can get out there, and sometimes, along the line, be sold as
> purebred, and then...Oh, wait, the shetlands are a closed registry, so
> no chance.  If they looked like jacobs, I sure wouldn't sell them,
> since they could be registered on their own looks, and although would
> probably be caught by the inspectors, who are very savvy about what a
> crossbred looks like, ...it could get into the gene pool and produce
> some jalands or shetcobs or something.

You're right, the inspectors would probably catch it. A couple of years
ago, we had a crossbred ram lamb (horned Dorset ewe x Jacob ram) and our
neighbor had a crossbred ewe lamb (Romney-cross ewe x Jacob ram) both of
which looked like Jacobs - at first glance. We took pictures to be used
as tools for training inspectors.
The ram lamb (who had two striped horns), was way too heavy looking. We
sent him to auction at 5 1/2 months of age, he weighed 110 pounds! The
ewe lamb was also heavy looking. At first we thought she was going to be
polled, then she started getting horns, but they looked more like the
little stubs you see on some of the other primitive breed ewes. I was
hoping to track her, but she died of pneumonia at nine months of age.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon