[Jacob-list] shetland/jacob x

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Mon Sep 2 13:39:55 EDT 2002

On the other hand, if anybody has a moorit Shetland X lilac Jacob, by all means let us know how it turns out! There is a good chance that the offspring will be black.

Neal
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Betty Berlenbach
  To: jacob-list at jacobsheep.com
  Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 11:35 AM
  Subject: [Jacob-list] shetland/jacob x

  Come on, folks, jacobs (or most of them) carry black dominant, and it is really dominant!  So, I would expect most if not all babies to be black, with some white touches: blaze, a leg, whatever, frosting...And especially with a moorit shetland ewe since moorit is very recessive...in general, the rule of thumb is: white, grey and beige colors, black, moorit, in descending order of dominance.  What would be interesting is jacob ram on grey shetland or white shetland, to see which is more dominant, the jacob black or the shetland white/grey.  I suspect the jacob black will still win.  Problem, of course, is these lambs can get out there, and sometimes, along the line, be sold as purebred, and then...Oh, wait, the shetlands are a closed registry, so no chance.  If they looked like jacobs, I sure wouldn't sell them, since they could be registered on their own looks, and although would probably be caught by the inspectors, who are very savvy about what a crossbred looks like, ...it could get into the gene pool and produce some jalands or shetcobs or something.