[Jacob-list] Cu Deficiency

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sat Oct 12 16:13:56 EDT 2002

Hi Sharon,
                   I haven't had any experience of swayback in newborn lambs,
but delayed swayback caused by copper deficiency (or a misbalance of other
minerals to give the effect of copper deficiency) has shown up as a failure
to thrive accompanied by a distinct grey band in the fleece at around 6ish
months of age (apparently quite variable timescale). Then (before the copper
boluses) a weakness in the front pasterns in one or two lambs a year (out of
around 25 or so) such that one pastern might even buckle under on longish
grass. Then a dullness in their demeanour and loss of appetite.

Following our move a month ago to Montgomeryshire, Wales...more sheep than
people it seems...I have just lost one of my favourite ewes to the meningitis
form of Listeria - very rapid onset and believed to be caused by the entry of
the bacteria through an abrasion in the mouth from rabbit-disturbed earth.
Afrikah was our first lamb and first Champion - very sad.

This evening my husband is bringing our last batch of sheep across from
Norfolk - think of us in the dark "encouraging" ewe lambs up a bank and
across a stream with stepping stones as the llamas temporary paddock is in
the way of the gate. What we do for our sheep.

Trisha M-S
Marmont Jacobs and Willow Farm Llamas, Montgomeryshire