[Jacob-list] sibling memory and recognition of each other,

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Sat Oct 12 10:34:16 EDT 2002

I agree with Mary Ellen that this is evident to varying degrees within
the same flock, mostly dependent, I believe, on the mother. We have a
couple of ewes here that form VERY strong bonds with their children and
those family groups always re-unite even after an extended separation.
Their own family group grows with the addition of new offspring each
year.

One particular ewe was separated from her daughter at breeding time last
year when the ewe lamb went into the non-breeding group.  When groups
were re-shuffled and re-grouped some 8+ months later here and they were
again in the same group, they quickly found one another and were
basically inseparable.

They have recently been separated again...daughter is in the breeding
group this year and mom is not, so will be interesting to watch it
happen again, as I am sure it will.

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm