[Jacob-list] Copper

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 18:04:56 EDT 2002

In a message dated 10/9/02 12:15:46 PM Central Daylight Time, ACAMDA at aol.com
writes:

> Since we are new shepherds, I spend a lot of my time reading "everything you
> ever wanted to know about sheep" type books.  {my vet says I read too
> much:)}  One of the continued cautions regards cooper in feed mixes, etc.
> I live in Georgia, which isn't exactly sheep country, and my local feed
> store is having trouble locating mineral / salt mixes, treats, etc., that
> are totally devoid of copper.  Most include some trace of copper sulfate.
> Even the lamb feed mix has it.  (Regular sheep chow does not.) Is it true
> that it would be best to steer clear of all cooper traces, or is some level
> acceptable?  I don't want to do something I'll live to regret!

Florida and some Gulf coast and Southeast states are thought to be copper
DEFICIENT.  Sheep do need copper; for body functions and copper makes "black
wool" black.  The problem, if there is one, is striking the balance between
deficiency and toxicity.  Toxicity becomes an environmental problem by
feeding a manufactured sheep mix that has minerals (including copper and
other minerals) and then adding the mineral block (with copper and other
minerals).  There will be some copper in your pasture and some in your local
non-processed grains.

If your local agriculture area is low in copper and you rely on local forage
and local non-manufactured feed (use a whole grain mix, e.g., corn, oats
wheat, alfalfa, orchard grass, etc,  set out some sheep mineral.  Sheep
mineral to augment forage is usually available in a granular form (Purina)
and in blocks (hard block and soft block) formulated for sheep.  We have a
preference for the granular form over the block but if you choose a block,
you may want to use a "soft" block over a "hard" block.  The hard block may
tend to wear and chip teeth.  The hard block works for sheep expected to be
around for five or six years where teeth condition is not too important but
if you want to support a fifteen to twenty year life span ... tooth retention
must be a consideration. A "soft" block is available from "Tractor Supply" if
you have one of these near you.

If you use a manufactured sheep feed, a "normal" copper level is 5 - 8 parts
per million".  A manufactured feed with minerals and copper listed as "less
than 10 ppm" is a reasonable target.  I would be cautious feeding both
manufactured feed and mineral.  Copper interacts with molybdenum and sulphur;
these too will be present in manufactured feed and minerals.

Fred Horak