[Jacob-list] Copper

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 13:14:39 EDT 2002

Since we are new shepherds, I spend a lot of my time reading "everything you
ever wanted to know about sheep" type books.  {my vet says I read too much:)}
 One of the continued cautions regards cooper in feed mixes, etc.  I live in
Georgia, which isn't exactly sheep country, and my local feed store is having
trouble locating mineral / salt mixes, treats, etc., that are totally devoid
of copper.  Most include some trace of copper sulfate.  Even the lamb feed
mix has it.  (Regular sheep chow does not.) Is it true that it would be best
to steer clear of all cooper traces, or is some level acceptable?  I don't
want to do something I'll live to regret!

Thanks everyone!

Kathey Williamson
Sweet Georgia Valley Farm