[Jacob-list] Horns - dead or alive

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 14:56:50 EST 2002

Linda wrote :
<<According to the article:
"Nechami Minkowicz, the rabbi's wife, assured participants that=
 the
animals are not killed for their horns. The shorn horns=
 naturally
regenerate."

Does that sound right to anyone? =A0Judging by the diameter of the
horns in the pictures, it would seem to be a rather painful and
involved process to "shear" horns that size.>>

True, the animals are not killed for their horns - they are killed for their
meat and the horns are a by-product.  Horn is living tissue, with a vigorous
blood supply.  The tips can be sawn off above the live part, but this would
not give a useable size of horn and of course the tips would never regrow -
growth is from the base.   We too have had a Jacob which tore a side horn
from the skull - it also tore an artery and the brain could be seen pulsing
within the torn hole.  10 mins pressure on the artery stopped the bleeding
and a pirate-style bandage covered the wound til he was ready to go for
slaughter.
Those who believe in Bambi might think it would be preferable to remove
horns from a living animal, but if I was that animal I would rather be dead
first.
Juliet