[Jacob-list] Coughing??????

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Nov 12 11:15:22 EST 2002

I have had one goat and one sheep that had an allergic cough.  It's not really something that usually just starts up one day if no changes have been made.  Besides a very thorough examination, the vet pressed on the animals' throats (can't give you the exact spot).  When this induced the coughing, he felt that indicated an allergic cough.  Of course, we also had ruled out anything more serious.  Cortisone shots may cure it, but I believe that cortisone should not be given to pregnant ewes.  The condition is irritating, but both animals maintained good health otherwise.  The sheep coughs more when he's fed hay, and doesn't cough much at all when he's just on grass.

Linda
in Georgia