[Jacob-list] question for those experienced breeders

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Nov 6 22:07:19 EST 2002

I suppose that I should respond as a representative of those that:"...can be
anything from frightened of humans (when their shepherds have put them out
in a field and left them to grow out for
slaughter and to be yard or field ornaments only)"... Mary Hansson is always
amazed at our wild and crazy guys when she comes to see us!

In reality, ALL sheep panic first and ask questions later. Mostly, they just
want to be left the (bleep) alone. The fellow that described Jacobs as
'neurotic' was used to sheep that are dumb as a rug. Jacob sheep are not.
When presented with something new, the Jacobs are "heads up", studying the
situation while other sheep have their heads down, cringing. This is one
reason why we fell in love with Jacob sheep!

Jacobs are more observant than other breeds and their pressure point* when
moving is about twice as far away. This means they are not a good choice for
those who wish to train young herd dogs. If you understand the animal and
work with their quirks they do just fine. While our Jacobs seem flighty when
out in the pasture, once they are in the holding pen they are at the front
of the group, poking at me and wanting to get it over with and go back out.
Think of Jacobs as a thinking person's sheep. As with any flock, think ahead
to how they will react when you start moving them. Plan your facilities to
limit their options and ways out. [This includes vertically!] We herd our
sheep into the holding pen by way of what is essentially a curving funnel so
that they are not presented with an attractive alternative to moving away
from us until it is to late. If you leave a big hole and a small hole for
them to try to go through, they will go through the small one.

Neal Grose

*pressure point: Every animal, sheep, cow or grizzly bear has a point or
space that if you move toward them they will move away from you. If you move
too close, they try to circle around you. If you watch how they observe you,
there will be a point just within their peripheral vision off their flank
that you can use to herd the animal forward. If you are directly behind
them, they will turn in order to see you more clearly. If you move forward,
they turn away from you.  Play around with this when the sheep are at ease
and you have nothing better to do and you will see what I mean.