[Jacob-list] two questions

Jim Millar millarjs at clarityconnect.com
Mon May 20 04:45:48 EDT 2002

Hello List friends,

I have two unrelated questions:

First, I have a ewe who about 10 days before lambing started to develop a huge bag, and one side was actually large and painful for her to walk. It was not hot or disclored and did not seem infeccted to me.  After lambing, she still seems to be in pain from the larger udder.  I have milked it out and have her on some penicillin.  The milk seems fine.  The lamb only drinks out of the other side.  I have experience with mastitis with cows, but not sheep.  In my experience, the milk is off color, udder is hot etc, which is not the case with this ewe.  What should I be doing for this ewe?

Second question: In years past I have either driven or shipped my wool to PEI in exchange/payment for blankets.  Last year I got killed on importation fees, and just barely made a profit from these blankets. The blankets and throws sell well so I'd like to continue to offer them to customers.  I am wondering if anyone else has had blankets made closer to home (at reasonable price).  Bartletts in Maine is too expensive and also a LONG drive!  Is anyone doing a wool pool for blankets?

Thanks for all tips!

Pam Millar
ZuZu's Petals Farm