[Jacob-list] jumping jacobs.

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Thu May 16 19:33:03 EDT 2002

Have to pipe in with a jumping story...although it was much better in person.  My brother and his wife were around last fall and while they had never worked with Jacobs before, are very good with animals and eager to help us sort out the last of the flock.  We used a calf panel and cornered the 3 remaining lambs in the far end of the pasture, but just as we were closing off the one end, a more mature ewe lamb pretty large by now ...usually very friendly, but worked up by the new and threatening system, leaped straight up into the air and landed right in the arms of my big strappling brother! He never moved, just caught.

 It was the sight of his face that was the most funny.  A mixture of pride, pleasure and shock all at once.  So much so, that he couldn't hear me telling him he had caught the wrong one and that Pepe' was getting ready to jump the fence on the other side...sure enough...   As my brother just stood there, his arms full of sheep, both his face and the lamb he was holding looking a bit dazed,  Pepe', the one we really were after, jumped straight up from a standstill and was over the 4 ft fence.  My brother didn't stop talking about it for days.  Cabby, the lamb he caught, continued to be distainful of me for a long time afterwards....